Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Depression + Credit Card = STUPID

First a question. Have you ever done something, then a couple weeks later you wake up at 2:00 AM, eyes wide open, saying to yourself, "OMG, why would I DO that?" Well, that's what happened to me last night. Let me digress to explain what Paul Harvey would term, "The REST of the Story". The day we lost Buttons we were terribly depressed, needless to say. We got home, sat around, gave the other two dogs and over abundance of affection, and decided we weren't hungry for supper. So we sat some more and chatted a bit. Then I had the bright idea that we should do something. Our cellular phone contracts had expired and we both badly needed new phones so we decided to make the trip to our local AT&T shop. BIG MISTAKE! I was being very picky about a new phone because due to my surgeries my hands, well more specifically my fingers, don't have the sensory feeling they used to have. So I was looking for a phone that had a keypad that I could actually FEEL. The ones with slick, flush numbers and letters just wouldn't do the trick. The only one I could find was going to cost me $29.00. What happened to the concept that the phones were FREE with a new contract? Anyway, I got past that and then was helping my wife find a phone. Now I just cannot say "NO" to her. She's just too great a lady for that. But you must remember, we are OLD people. I mean a phone is just a phone. I basically carry one because I'm old, fat and cripple and don't want to be caught somewhere with something wrong. Well, she fell in love with the IPHONE. It's cost? $150.00 and that's WITH the new contract. She questioned the cost but, as usual, I say "Honey you get whatever you want". God, I'm a nice guy. So we got the new phones, got back home, I set them all up and you would assume we were happy campers. Right!?!?!? Okay now to the wake up call. Last night, at 2:00 AM I sat STRAIGHT up in bed and had the OMG moment. I just realized that my bill was going to go up $50.00 a month because these new phones "required" "data" plans. What the hell is that all about? We don't USE the phones to surf the Internet, we don't text, we don't do anything but use the fricking phone!! So now comes the realization that the only way to resolve this is to return the phones. Of course there will be the mandatory "re-stocking" charge if we do that. The other problem, at least for me, is finding a phone I can actually USE! IF we do this, it will of course be much cheaper, but will I be able to feel the damn thing? So that's how this week is starting out. Questions, Questions, Questions? That's the result of having a STUPID attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment